March 23, 2020:
In such an unprecedented time, like many of you, we have been closely following the escalation of COVID-19. Like you, we share the concern and uncertainty. We want to assure you that Make-A-Wish remains focused on keeping our wish kids and families, community supporters, volunteers, and employees safe. At this time, due to current medical and public concerns, Make-A-Wish has made a few difficult decisions that we wanted to make you aware of:
- All wish travel has been postponed until further notice, as well as wish kid participation in all activities and events related to Make-A-Wish that involve large gatherings. We have been in contact with each of the impacted families and we will grant each postponed wish as soon as we can.
We will continue to monitor guidance from national and international public health and government organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and U.S. State Department, and are working closely with the National Make-A-Wish Medical Advisory Council, keeping the best interest of the children and families we serve at the center of all policy decisions we make. The health and safety of our wish families is our priority – and, as always, we remain committed to our vision of granting the wish of every eligible child fighting a critical illness.
If you are a wish family and have concerns about your upcoming wish, please contact your Wish Relations Manager, or call (877) 206-9474.
- We have postponed our upcoming Northwest Ohio, Northeast Ohio and Indiana BIG Wish® Galas until the following dates this summer
- Northeast Ohio – July 10 at the Hilton Cleveland Downtown
- Northwest Ohio – July 31 at the Renaissance Toledo Downtown Hotel
- Indiana – August 15 at the JW Marriott Indianapolis
- We have postponed our upcoming Kentucky Walk for Wishes®
- Kentucky - August 15 at Kentucky Kingdom
- We have requested volunteers to follow the CDC and Department of Health guidelines when meeting with wish families or to utilize virtual Wish Discovery meetings
- We have limited all in-person meetings, including board, volunteer and committee meetings. In lieu, we will conduct meetings via video conference or conference call until April 3rd at which time we will reevaluate the current environment.
Additionally, starting at Noon on Monday, March 16, our staff has been working remotely to ensure the health and safety of our team. This decision does not come lightly but is of the utmost importance as we work to responsibly support our community. We are working to ensure you can expect typical response times from us when contacting us. Please continue to contact your Make-A-Wish representative via phone or email.
On average, Make-A-Wish America grants more than 15,800 wishes per year, and 77 percent of these wishes involve air travel. We estimate more than 30 wishes per day could be delayed by COVID-19 related postponements. If you have a question or would like to help during this difficult time, please call us at (877) 206-9474.